Big Picture Learning is always seeking high-energy, visionary, and dynamic educators to work within our network of schools. We are looking for people who believe that all students are capable of high academic achievement regardless of socioeconomic status, are open to challenging themselves in an innovative learning environment, and who value Big Picture Learning's 'one kid at a time' design.
Posted: January 7, 2014
The Delaware Met c/o Amy Cantymagli
100 West 10th Street, Suite 403
Wilmington, DE 19801
The Delaware Met - Full-Time Teacher (Secondary),
ANNOUNCEMENT OF VACANCY: Full-Time Teacher (Secondary), All Disciplines, 2014/2015 School Year
The Governing Board of The Delaware Met invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Full-Time Teacher (Secondary, All Disciplines) for the 2014/2015 School Year.
Big Picture Learning is a nationally recognized education model for which The Delaware Met is seeking high–energy, visionary, and dynamic educators to be a member of the founding staff. We are looking for people who believe that all students are capable of high academic achievement regardless of socioeconomic status, are open to challenging themselves in an innovative learning environment, and who value Big Picture Learning’s “one student at a time” design. We are seeking candidates who have the ability to bring relationship, relevance, and rigor to every staff and student encounter. To learn more about Big Picture Learning and its innovative education design visit their website at www.bigpicture.org. Each staff member will be required to attend a multi-week summer intensive training, beginning on August 4, 2014.
Are you COMMITTED to teaching and raising the academic achievement of students in urban schools?
- Active desire to teach “where needed.”
- Believe that all students of all backgrounds can and must learn at high levels.
- Realistic expectation of challenges
- Able to develop and nurture deep connections with all students.
Are you a CONSTANT LEARNER who bases current and future endeavors on lessons drawn from previous experiences?
- Reflect regularly on performance to identify areas of improvement.
- Seek, welcome, and provide feedback.
- Access resources to support self-development.
- Demonstrate willingness to modify approach.
- Recognize and learn from failures.
- Collaborate with staff members on a regular basis.
- Set and meet ambitious goals.
- Take on challenges and seek help, if needed.
Are you a CRITICAL THINKER, continuously analyzing situations thoroughly and generating effective strategies?
- Discern the presence and nature of problems accurately.
- Develop creative solutions.
- Approach difficult situations logically.
- Suggest multiple solutions to a single problem.
- Remain resilient.
Do you CONNECT with and want to be part of the school community?
- Demonstrate interests, teaching styles, and experiences that match The Delaware Met’s culture and needs.
- Interact appropriately with supervisors, colleagues, parents, community members, and students at all times.
- Possess applicable skills that match the needs of The Delaware Met: low-income population, technology, thinking outside of the box
- Excited about learning new information related to all subject areas.
- Possess a Delaware state teaching certificate in age-appropriate levels for assigned instruction responsibilities
- Prefer 2-6 years teaching experience in middle of high school
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of curriculum and methods of instruction
- Experience in test evaluation and measurements of achievement
- Track record of success with diverse children, including those with special needs
- Knowledge and proven ability in positive behavior management
- Ability to work well with parents and community members
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to network in the community
- Skilled in the use of internet, email, and Microsoft Office
- Capable of interpreting policy, procedures, and data
- Willingness to be held accountable for student results
- Possession of a class D or equivalent driver’s license
Posted: February 3, 2014
Multiple Positions - Bronx Compass High School, Bronx,
The Bronx Compass High School is adding to our All-Star team of creative and innovative educators who love working with young people, and who are courageous risk-takers in the classroom.
The Bronx Compass High School is a small, new school that opened in September 2012. Together, we've designed a new type of high school experience that requires the most creative and forward thinking educators. (We are the only high school in NYC to be selected as an iZone360 school even before opening.) It is our unique vision of personalized teaching and learning that sets us apart. Bronx Compass is an incredible place for young people to design their own futures, and will continue to serve as a model for the next generation of New York City public schools.
We believe students learn best when they are engaged in rich and connected learning experiences that allow them space to think, to create, and to share. Therefore, our courses are linked thematically, supported with longer blocks, and arranged by semester. We also support experiential learning and believe students should leave the school building often for fieldwork, community service, and internships. We also have a 1:1 student to laptop ratio and house a recording studio, game design lab/ STEAM lab, and an art studio.
We have recruited students that are interested in the following themes: Media Art, Music Production, Video Game Design & Software Engineering. To support the exploration of these topics, all Explorers students (9th and 10th grade students) will take one Humanities semester and one STEAM semester each year. All courses are infused with technology and elements of personalization.
For a complete overview of the school and brief interests survey go to: https://docs.google.com/a/bigpicturelearning.org/forms/d/1Z9duqmmR_umpDh8BgKgXVzeh45mybsc-GSQ4NSis3Lc/viewform?sid=197aea2862a0857f&token=xTm9Oj0BAAA.JGMJNCEKY3eqtrQFWPGCMw.bdV3nxg2vK0KofHWzcwiSQ
Become Part of the Movement
Interested in becoming a mentor or volunteer at a Big Picture school? Don't see the position you are looking for and would like to be considered when a job becomes available? Fill out the appropriate interest form and your information will be sent directly to the schools of your choice.